PARKS & RECREATION

Bryant's Wharf

1A Palmetto Street, Welaka 

Restrooms

Overnight mooring (2 nights maximum)

Fishing/Shrimping (permit required)

Scenic Viewing Area

Floating Dock

Kayak Launch

Town Hall Recreation Area

400 4th Avenue, Welaka

Restrooms

Pickleball Court

Basketball Court

Bocce Ball Court

LifeTrail Circuit

Picnic and BBQ Pavilion

Benches and Gazebo

Playground

Jefferson Smith Memorial Ball Park

1046 Elm Street, Welaka

Restrooms

Lighted Baseball Field

Covered Bleachers

Picnic and BBQ Pavilion

Playground

Swings

Downtown Park

101 Palmetto Street, Welaka

Restrooms with Showers

Lighted Tennis Court

Lighted Basketball Court

Playground

Swings

Shuffleboard

40 Acre Park

738 CR WY 309, Welaka

Restrooms

Raquetball

Playground

2 Volleyball Sand Courts

Picnic and BBQ Pavilion

Hiking Trails

Health Trail

Little League Field of Dreams

500 Pine Street, Welaka

Restrooms

Playground

Picnic Pavilion

2 Tee-Ball Fields

1 Little League Lighted Field

Snack Bar

Public Boat Ramp

9199 Elm Street, Welaka

Public Boat Ramp

Trailer Parking

794 County Road 309, Welaka

386-467-2388

  • Restrooms

  • Hiking Trails

  • Mud Springs

  • Horse Trails, Stables and Arena

  • Great Florida Birding Trail

  • Camping (permit required)

  • Picnic Pavilion

726 County Road 309, Welaka

386-467-2374

  • Aquarium

  • Observation Tower

  • Group Tours Available

 

The Welaka National Fish Hatchery was built in 1926 and originally operated by the State of Florida. In 1938 the hatchery was transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Ponds are operated at two locations. Those ponds at headquarters, near the aquarium, are called the Welaka Unit, and a second group of ponds about three miles south of headquarters is called the Beecher Unit. The Beecher Unit is named for the spring that serves as the water supply. Beecher Spring has a flow of 4,000 gallons per minute at a constant temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Water for the Welaka Unit comes from a well 423 feet deep and also from the St. Johns River

Putnam Blueways and Trail is a non-profit 501c3 Citizen Support Organization that Promotes and Protects the Blueways and Trails in Putnam County, Florida. We do that by holding events, supporting other events that use the trails and representing the trails to government entities. We are also an associate member of Florida SEE (Florida Society for Ethical Ecotourism).  

Additional Parks and recreation available in Putnam County

The Putnam County Bartram Trail was developed to assist those interested in following in the wake and footsteps of John and William Bartram by providing resources and tools that will enable them to be successful.  Using the available writings of John and William as well as those of respected historians, each of the likely locations where the Bartrams touched shore either to camp or explore has been identified and mapped.  These locations along the St. Johns River, identified as Bartram Trail Sites (BTS), are numbered sequentially from north to south rather than in the chronological order in which they were visited. These trails are considered a work in progress.

Located south of a sharp bend in the St. Johns River, more than 6,200 acres of natural communities are represented in Dunns Creek State Park. These natural communities include sandhills, covered with longleaf pines, wiregrass and sand pine scrub. These protect several endangered and threatened species, such as the gopher tortoise and fox squirrels, and other native animals.

Ravine Gardens State Park is one of the nine New Deal-era state parks in Florida. The park has two ravines up to 120 feet deep with steep banks at 45 degree angles. Unlike common gullies, trenches or sinkholes caused by temporary flooding, the steephead ravines are a permanent feature with a spring-fed creek that never dries up, called Whitewater Branch. The underground water bubbling up cuts into the bank and carries the sand and soil downstream to the St. Johns River. Over thousands of years the ravines have widened and deepened to what you see today. In 1933, the ravines were transformed into a dramatic garden by the federal Works Progress Administration. 

Please reload